Saturday, December 13, 2008

more randomness

I was listening to an interview with an author today. He had written a novel about a father with 13 children. The host asked, "Do you think it is possible for a father to love all thirteen children equally?" The author, one of only two kids, said no. He thought the father could remember isolated accomplishments well enough to pretend to love his children equally, so they felt love, but not to actually love them equally.

I disagree. Though my father loves all 13 of his children differently, I think we are all equally loved. As in any relationship, there are seasons when that love is felt more deeply, but I know my dad (and my mom) love all of us.

It makes me sad to wonder how this author was loved, and whether the love from his parents was unconditional.

3 comments:

Spirit of Adoption said...

Hey Amy! Wow, that makes me sad too! Though we only have 4 : ), I can't imagine any of our kids feeling like we don't love them. We obviously have a different relationship with all of them, but adore them all in different ways!

And THANK YOU for your comment on my post. I will definitely listen to that this wk (or maybe I should say Lord willing!!).

Mike and Katie said...

We had our home visit with our social worker this week for our second adoption. Some of the questions sounded like this, "Do you really have enough time and love for another child?"

Each child multiplys the love and adoration spread around the house. Without Amanda, my teenagers wouldn't have an adoring fan to greet them every morning.

I might spend less time with Amanda when we have a new baby, but she'll have some one to love and play with.

I say, "The more the merrier!"

Lee Ann said...

It makes me want to count up 13 relationships that the author has and ask him if he is really able to love all 13 of those people, including his spouse, parents, siblings, children, good friends, etc.

I agree that the love would be different but still fully loving.