Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring is Here!

It's early enough in the morning that the sun isn't quite fully awake. I've got my first, most essential, cup of coffee close at hand, and I can hear birds waking the neighborhood just outside my window. I love spring. I cannot wait for everything to be in full bloom. A couple of weeks ago, I went against my own common sense and started planting--lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and some pretty flowers. I could hear my mom's voice in my head, "Don't plant until after Easter. You'll miss most freezes." But I couldn't resist. It had been in the 70s for more than a week--surely that meant it was safe to plant, right? I planted on a Sunday (thanks, Kari--I wouldn't have done it without you!), and the following Saturday it was threatening to snow, or freeze, at the very least.

Fortunately, the nasty weather that affected almost everyone else I know missed my area. It got colder, and rained some, but it did not freeze. Knowing what I do about my yard and my soil, that does not give me any reason to think that everything that was planted will grow, but it does leave me to wait and hope...looking for new life in my yard. Anyone who watches me leave for work in the morning would wonder what I'm doing, carrying my lunch, and my gym bag, and my coffee--wandering around the yard, searching for signs of new life. If you see me, please know I didn't get lost on the way to the car, I am just anticipating what's to come.

Right now, I think I am anticipating all good things. Work is getting more manageable. I'm "getting over myself" and reconnecting with my life. My friends all still have time for me. Exciting things are happening all the time. I love spring--it reminds me of what's to come.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Yay for Spring! We did the same thing, planted a whole bunch the weekend before the cold snap. We lost our corn and a zucchini plant, but everything else seems to have survived. We have an indoor herb garden, and are looking forward to onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and peppers this summer!