Thursday, September 16, 2010

Training

Did I mention in my last post that I am taking training classes through Child Protective Services in order to get licensed to foster and adopt? I haven't been in classes in a L-O-N-G time, and evening classes, in particular, are tough for me. This isn't new. I dreaded night classes when I was in college, way back in the day, but adding evening classes to a full work day is a new level of tired. I guess it's good real life training for me....nothing like total exhaustion when there's a new kiddo in the house, or so I've heard. You parents will have to verify that for me :)

Most of the classes have been unsurprising. People struggle. The world is devastated by sin, and that sin takes effect in a multitude of ways, and many, many suffer without hope. I am not new to hearing/seeing/living how sin affects our lives--in very real and painful ways. Throughout the training classes, I have been able to cope fairly well, not shocked by the sins adults perpetrate on kids, and I have been able to pray for both the adults and the kids involved in foster care. God has given me grace to see that He alone is sufficient to heal all wounds.

Tonight was different. Tonight we talked about sexual abuse. Somehow, this has undone me and my calm facade. I am deeply angry at adults who think it is in any way acceptable to ruin a child's life in this way. I am heartbroken for the kids (some in adult bodies) whose lives need so much healing, and whose lives scream for the Lord and His presence.

That's it. I'm broken. And to think I thought the tough part of being a parent to these hurt kids would be the financial part. Please, Lord help us all. Amen.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

It is heartbreaking. What's even worse is that some adults...ones who are supposed to care for, listen to, teach, love, protect, DO something...are numb to a terrible reality that should infuriate them as much as it does you and therefore, often are unequipped or unwilling to help these hurting little people heal. Be thankful, friend, that you feel the way you do. You won't be one of the adults who lets these babies down. These kids can heal, if they learn how to feel safe and loved...if people who love Jesus and trust fiercely that He will provide take them in and show them how. Trust me. I'm proof.

I'm so happy for you for doing this. You're going to be an incredible mom....and a really cool one at that. ;-)