Monday, June 4, 2007

Old friends are the best!

When we meet someone to whom we are inexplicably drawn, it can be fun. When that person turns out to be a good friend, a sympathetic listener, and one who realizes you are completely nuts but still treats you like you are normal, you know you've got a friend you can hang on to.

I got a text message last week from a friend who's been hanging on to me for 8 or 9 years. He's sarcastic, witty, smart, and surprisingly soft-hearted. He's at the age when he can't remember the things he wanted to do when he was in high school (and for the record, that's 4 years older than me. I guess that means I've got 4 years left to remember what I dreamed about.), but young enough to know he's not done living. We talked tonight--well, I talked & he listened--and I was reminded why I still love his friendship...regardless of the mood or the trail of conversation, he's still in it.

So, Mike, thanks. I appreciate that you still call even though I am clearly insane. Thanks for sticking around for what my niece refers to as "a long time." Cheers, my friend.

No comments: