Sunday, March 18, 2007

Saints and Sinners

I often think I fall only into the sinners category, like when...
  • I get furious over a fairly mild confrontation at work
  • I would rather sleep in than get up & to places on time
  • I choose the TV over my Bible
  • I have one glass of wine too many
  • I devote more of my life to work than to God

Fortunately, I have saints for friends. Today, Denise asked me how I was feeling spiritually. This type of discussion is still odd for me. I spent my life prior to the last 3 years just pretending that everything was okay that I never got very good at analyzing 'how I feel.' So, I stopped and I thought about how my life seems full of blessings, in spite of all the shortcomings listed above. I have a home, a job I enjoy, family & friends I love, and more than enough of all the material things I always seem to see as so important. Then I thought about the gift of discipline. I don't have enough, but I have more than I ever thought possible for me. I daily read the Bible, and even though I'm not even through the OT after 15 months, I still feel like the daily time in the Word is a blessing I couldn't have imagined. I pray regularly and the daily dialogue reminds me that I am not all there is, and that this life is fleeting. I finally get what it means to live for the future instead of the here & now.

Because of that, I think I might get what the saints hold out for. Amen!

No comments: