Thursday, May 3, 2007

Oprah

So, this is record-breaking, 4 posts in only a few days. Don't get used to it.

I thought my sister was going to be on Oprah last week, but she wasn't, and I was disappointed that I gave up an hour of my day to watch Oprah. I know it's silly, but I almost don't trust Oprah anymore. I used to think Oprah stood for something; perhaps she was someone to believe in.

I don't think so anymore. I now think Oprah is only out for Oprah. That translates into putting people on her show who are so tabloid-friendly that folks all over middle america will flock to her show in order to hear the voice of the person whose picture they've seen thousands of times before. I also think Oprah wouldn't say no to anything that gets her ratings. Did you see her "show" on where to meet single guys over 35? Apparently, the only places they are, according to Oprah's 'best friend,' Gayle, is in Chicago, New York, LA, or Dallas. Sucks to be me, huh?

So I guess I'm Oprah-bashing. I've heard several folks say they think she should run for president. She'd probably come close to being elected, until someone pointed out that she doesn't stand for anything. (For the record, I'm going to say something positive about our current president, you should write this down, for I will try to deny it later.) Our current president may be an arrogant, stubborn man, but most of the time you know what he stands for. "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything," in the words of a famous country song...sorry, Oprah, I think you're falling.

PS-I'll definitely still watch the show my sister's on, but after that, I think I'm out. And the bold print was just to point out how easy it is to over-use someone's name, even if it's unintended.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!!!! I could hear you saying this as I read it. yeah- Oprah backed Barak today so I guess every woman in middle america will now be running to the polls. great post.