Thursday, June 25, 2009

End of round 1

I'm hanging out at MD Anderson for the evening.  I know, you should all be jealous!

Mom and I got here for my final treatment of my first round this afternoon, and we're just relaxing in an infusion suite.  Mom is working Sudoku, I am catching up on Facebook, and we're both listening to the TV from the next suite.  Very calm.  

This week has been mellow and I have felt better each day, what a blessing!  I didn't realize it, but Sunday and Monday I was fatigued.  When I felt so much better on Tuesday and Wednesday, I had a kind of "duh" moment when I realized how I'd felt wasn't a new normal, but instead side effects from the chemo.  I am so blessed to know that the days of feeling icky definitely have an end date.  I won't indefinitely feel nauseous and exhausted.  Nice!

Here are a few high points from the week.  We have visited Greg, Missy, and the girls a couple of times.  I love it that Lucy knows me by name now, and Maggie wants to kiss me when she sees me.  Mom and I are planning to cook lunch with/for that crew tomorrow.  "That crew" has grown!  Kelly and three of her kids came for a visit to Houston and are staying w/Greg & Missy.  It was so great to see Kelly and the girls that I didn't even care if they got me wet when they hugged me.  Kelly & family will stay here until Saturday then go stay w/her sister in law who lives further northwest in Houston.  Mom has been getting to know her way around my neighborhood, as well as back & forth to Greg's.  It is so nice to have someone else to do all the stressful Houston driving.  Gotta love Mom!  We have done some shopping, some cooking, and a lot of great visiting.  I am amazed that I love Mom more and more every day, and that each day I feel like I learn some part of her life before I was a part of it.  It's awesome!  

I felt so good yesterday that Mom suggested we go out to dinner to celebrate.  I perused some online menus and had to choose between Cafe Express and a Mexican place called Escalante's Mexican Grill.  We ended up at the Mexican place and it was FANTASTIC!  I think I know where I get my tasted for carbs and guacamole--I inherited those rightly from Mom!  One recommendation--get an appetizer, then share an entree.  They plated our entree on two plates so we didn't have to scrape or split anything on our own.  Oh-and the tortillas are amazing.  Mom and I are now determined to make delicious homemade flour tortillas--do you have a recipe we can use?  

Today I had to have blood drawn pretty early, so after that was done we headed out to Greg's.  I actually got into the pool and got some sun.  We had yummy croissant sandwiches for lunch and I could have taken a nap, but just couldn't resist visiting with everyone else while they were swimming.  

Now, I'm waiting to get my next dose of chemo.  Right now I'm getting Benadryl in an IV, so if I haven't stopped making sense yet, I will soon.  This is the last item on our list for tonight, and we're planning to make lunch at Greg's house tomorrow, and then HEAD HOME!  I pray I will feel well enough to go to MY church on Sunday.  Will you pray with me for that?  Thanks for all your love & support!


2 comments:

Rona McNally said...

Mark and I took a cooking class this weekend, and we made flour tortillas!

2 3/4 c. flour
1/3 c. vegetable shortening
3/4 t. salt
about 3/4 c. very warm water

Combine flour and fat in large mixing bowl. Work fat in with fingers until completely incorporated. Dissolve salt in water and pour about 2/3 c. over dry ingredients. Immediately work in with a fork. Add rest of liquid if needed to moisten all dry ingredients. Add a little more if necessary. Turn dough onto work surface and knead until smooth (it will have a medium-stiff consistency). Divide dough into 12 to 15 pieces and roll each into a ball. Cover and let rest 30 minutes. Heat a griddle over medium heat. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a circle about 7 inches. Lay tortilla on hot griddle. After about 30 seconds, when there are browned spots underneath, flip over. Cook 20 to 30 seconds until other side is browned.

Also, your comments about chemo are bringing back memories. I don't know if it helps, but I have felt the same way.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Mom is there with you. She is the best and is so great to hang out with. She's also really knows how to take care of you and put you at ease. I hope you can go to YOUR church this weekend, I know that would be comforting!!! Love you-Janice