Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June wrap-up

I thought I'd close June with one more post. I didn't realize until today how much more I write when I am not at home. I guess at home I have so much to distract myself with that I don't spend a lot of time thinking about what is going on or how I am feeling. I do know that I have felt pretty darned good here at home. With Mom here, I have wanted for nothing, and even got a few welcome surprises along the way.

One of those surprises was a new breakfast area at my house. Mom moved my furniture off the back patio, cleaned out my garage, and set things up so that if I want to eat breakfast outside, I can do it without fighting the dogs for my food. We ate out there this morning, the first day in nearly two weeks where it was still a bearable temperature at breakfast time. It was so pleasant! The sky was overcast and there was a nice breeze while we ate and watched the neighborhood wake up. Today's weather has been such a change from the white, flat, dry heat we have been having that it made this morning's breakfast even more special.

After breakfast, we had to get Mom to the airport and ready to head home. It was bittersweet for me. Obviously I want to feel well enough that I don't need someone here looking after me, but it means that Mom is gone. I feel great, and I've already talked to Mom once tonight, but my house is an odd kind of quiet...lonely. After dropping Mom off, I had a checkup with the doctor who did my first surgery, and she says I look healthy & well. I'll take that! This evening, my friend Jennifer drove down from Waco for dinner. It was so nice to see her, and even though the evening was pretty low key, I daresay we'd do it again.

Now, I am wondering what to do with myself for the rest of the week. I have a couple of library books to read, and one DVD to watch that is also on loan from the library. I am planning a small get together for Independence Day on Saturday evening, but other than that, I don't have a lot going on. Since my last treatment I have felt pretty well overall, but on Sunday I think I was asleep longer than I was awake. I didn't think I would be able to sleep on Sunday night because I slept so much during the day, but I rested without any problems. I guess what I hear about fatigue being a side effect of chemo is true after all. I fully expected to have lost my hair already by now, but so far I haven't. I tried on my new hat for Jennifer tonight, and we agreed (again) that it was cute enough to wear even if I keep all of my hair.

I have had lots of great mail and phone calls this week--reminders that so many people are loving me and praying for me from a distance. I feel that love every single day. Judy & her kiddos sent me a package with treats, books, and other fun things. I am still smiling as I sit here thinking about it. I am so loved!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Yay, another post! I am so glad you and Mom had this special time together. You are loved, so much. I hope you enjoy those amazing fireworks from your perch at home, enjoy some watermelon and spit those seeds as far as you can!