Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stuff from Today

Busy, busy day.  Mary, Kathleen, and Jessica got here around 3 in the morning, I took Greg to work around 7, and had a full day of appointments.  Blessedly, the super-early morning appointments that I had originally scheduled were moved to later in the day, so I was able to come home and rest until about 10am.  Mary and I spent the day at MD Anderson, talking with the social worker, getting blood drawn at the lab, finding out about support groups, and meeting with the radiation oncologist.  

The big news of the day was pretty limited.  There is lots of support available to me and my family.  There was some question if there is additional testing needed on my lymph nodes.  One pathologist indicated there is reason for concern in that area.  The radiation oncologist recommended I ask my regular oncologist if I could be the focus of an inter-disciplinary panel. That means that basically everyone involved with my care would review my medical history and diagnosis to ensure everyone is on the same page with my care, and that everyone involved has input on the best next steps.  I guess that is one benefit of having a diagnosis that is unusual....lots of minds focused on care and treatment.  

Oh, and since I have two different types of cancer, I get two different ribbon/bracelet colors.  For uterine/endometrial I have peach, and for the ovarian, of course, I have teal.  They don't match,  just for the record.  I guess I'll just have to get over it.

Some other thoughts from the last week:  
I asked my stockbroker about options for withdrawing from my retirement account if I need it to pay for health care, and after he heard what I've been going through, he answered my questions, then asked if he could pray with me.

 I have some options for a place to stay in Houston, which is a big relief.  My church has people willing to help with finances so I can take care of things in case I lose my job.

 I asked my work about options for working part time, and won't have an answer until at least Friday.  

I still am not sleeping well, I think I need to get more active through the day.  Pray I continue to feel better so I can be more active.

I have a procedure scheduled on Monday, but won't know what time it is until Friday after 3pm.  

With Mary here, I am hoping to take at least one day and do something relaxing and fun before all the craziness starts.  

For right now, I'm beat, so I'm signing off.  I am sure there will be more soon.  

EDIT:  I wanted to add that my experience so far with MD Anderson has been great.  Every staff member I've dealt with has been very positive, very convinced we are going to beat this.  I have laughed with nurses and other staff more than I think is probably normal in a cancer treatment.  One nurse even told me she wasn't going to let me leave without getting a hug...I must just look like a hugger :)

Besides asking if he could pray for me, my stockbroker asked a question I don't think I've heard very much before, he said, "are you scared?"  I told him that in that moment, I wasn't, but overall I think I am.  To be clear, I am not scared of not being cured, I am confident in my doctors' plans for my treatment.  I am scared and worried about finances, health benefits, etc.  I am trying to hold on to what Greg said, though.  It was something to the effect that all of those financial worries are "small stuff" that are only going to be critical for the next 4-6 months. Instead of focusing on the worries, I need to stay focused on the big picture of healing and moving forward, and it seems I have been stuck in thinking about the worst-case scenario.  If you would pray with me, more than ever, that God really does have this whole situation in His hands and I can let it go, I would really appreciate it.  


2 comments:

Sturgmom said...

Praying without ceasing for you!

Mary said...

You are SO HUGGABLE!!

Amy and I started something of a Top Ten...to having Ovarian/Endometrial Cancer, and so far includes (not in order yet):
- Hair loss (from the head is okay but rockin' if it's from the other areas! Amy asked if she could prescribe the location of hair loss :)
- You get to find a cute pair of high-heeled dancing shoes to STOMP IT OUT!!
- This one is from my perspective as a sister: I can get Amy fun scarves and a CAPE, and try to convince her to buy legwarmers!


More to come as this adventure continues!
4.