Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday, Monday...

I haven't been doing a lot the past few days, but I still feel like a lot has happened. First off, my mom is amazing. I have not gone hungry, or craved any silly little thing that she has not taken care of right away. Add to that that she has taken my wimpy little garden in my yard and made it look absolutely amazing. PLUS, she has done all of the laundry, dishes, and housecleaning. Is this what it is like to be an only child? I could not have imagined it.

Today has been busy-ish. I had to go to my doctor's office to have a mammogram and some blood drawn to screen for breast cancer. If she finds anything in the films or in the genetic testing, she is recommending some radical treatment to pre-emptively rid my body of breast cancer. You would think that would freak me out.

After worship yesterday, a group of my church elders prayed over me and for me. I could not have imagined how powerful that would feel, nor how calming it could be. I tend to cry anytime I hear someone pray for me, and yesterday was not an exception, but for once I was not crying tears of despair, but tears of hope. I had a certain sense that the reason the past month or so has not devastated me is because I have so many people praying for me, and so often. I get the sense that the odd moments I panic or get scared are the odd moments someone out there is not praying for me. They have been so few, and I am overwhelmed.

This evening I'm headed to Houston with my mom and my sister to get a 2nd opinion about treatment options from an oncologist @ MD Anderson. My appointment is tomorrow morning. If she offers some more aggressive treatment than what I've already learned about, I will probably get treatment there. If not, I'll stick with what I've learned about closer to home.

Thanks for praying to me, and reaching out to me, and just loving me. I know I'll continue to need all of those things!

1 comment:

Mandi said...

I'm praying for you. Please let me know how tomorrow goes...and if you see the Fields, give them all big hugs for me. Call me sometime when you're bored (or not...whenever), and we'll hang out. Love you friend.