Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Almost normal

I'm sitting here, typing away, messing with facebook, having some coffee, and life feels almost normal.

Then I remember I was in an oncologist's office this morning, and the coffee is decaf. Something is amiss. And my mom has unloaded my car after more than two weeks at my sister's house, and I couldn't even argue with her to let me help her. Very unusual.

I nearly cried today, after seeing the oncologist. I was on a "tour" with the oncology nurse. She was showing me where we'd park when it was time for me to come back for chemo, showing me the infusion suites, the waiting area. On our way out of the waiting room, we passed a display case of scarves, wigs, and yellow "Live Strong" bracelets. None of that bothered me. What got to me was the nurse explaining that instead of wearing a pink ribbon (breast cancer), "we are teal." It hit me, in that moment, that I really do have cancer, and there's even a color people would think of when it came to the type of cancer I have. For whatever reason, I just came undone. I couldn't even stop & listen to what else she was saying, I had to keep walking.

I'm sure there are many times that knowing I have cancer will make me feel like coming undone, I just wasn't ready for today to be one of those days.

On the flip side, there is a woman who lives in the town I work in who makes free wigs for cancer patients. Any suggestions for what color I should get? I am told it is VERY likely I will lose my hair.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

red!
Already scarf shopping for ya- Love you!

Kris said...

Definitely sassy red, missy. And just think of the fun you can have with the wild colored Halloween wigs - my Mom wore a neon purple wig one day to her office - and a neon green another day. People never knew what to expect...

Hang in there, sweetie. Sending you many hugs from Omaha...

Sturgmom said...

Do you mind if I link my blog post to your blog?

Johanna said...

Stopped in from Amanda's website and been talking to Tracy about you.
First of all I am really saddened to hear that someone would steal you plant off your porch ~ Bad Form.
I personally love the color teal and will be praying for you each time I see it.
I just donated 12 inches of hair to locks of love but it was a mousy color which wouldn't look good on you. Go with several ~ long blond as well as a brown sugar with auburn highlights. Just think how easy it will be to get ready in the morning...Just do you hair the night before.
We will keep you in our prayers and would love to meet you someday.