Friday, July 17, 2009

Be Still...

I woke up this morning thinking about 2 things.  First, I wondered what it would take to get an ice maker in my home in Temple.  I seriously love good ice.  Second, I thought about the phrase, "Be still."  Fortunately for you, dear reader, the "be still" won the battle of the brain.

Be still can be deceptive.  It sounds almost like passivity, doing nothing.  I don't think of it that way.  I think of being still as being in the best state to hear what I should be doing, praying, considering, or contemplating next.  Being still allows me to hear something besides, "You have cancer" when I feel lousy.  Being still reminds me that I am not the only fighter in this battle--I have God, my family, my friends, and my very well-trained doctors and nurses in this battle--all of whom are battling it in their own mighty ways.  Being still reminds me there is still blessing in quiet fellowship, in early mornings, and getting the chance to know others I would have never met.  

So many people I read about are just ticked off when they hear they have cancer.  I can't say I was thrilled, but I don't remember anger being my first response.  I think I was shocked first, then a little scared.  Fortunately, being still after my first surgery really helped me to hear the wisdom of all the people who love me, which got me to MD Anderson to start my treatment.  Thank God I didn't stay scared.  It's amazing to me how much being still can still move me.  

I realize now that I am one-third of the way through my treatments (can I get a hallelujah!), I may have a lot more feeling icky, tired, and cranky to go.  I probably will cry more.  I will occasionally be less than sunshine-cheerful about what's ahead.  I will definitely, though, spend some time being still.  I know I will feel the Lord's hand guiding me in that stillness.  I know I will hear your voices of love and concern and cherish them.  I will probably still wake up thinking about having an ice maker in my home, because I still love some good ice!  God Bless you today...spend some time being still.


5 comments:

Deana said...

"...and know...!!!" You are loved girl!!! I am not sure I am mentally prepared to read this. But I know I will! Reading it I feel like I am there again! You are a beautiful writer and so strong in your faith. Kendall grew so much these past 7 months, walking those same halls! We love you girl!!! Praying nonstop!!!

Laura said...

"Hallelujah!"
I love reading your posts, Amy. Thanks for the exhortation and reminder to Be Still. (I love the hymn that goes with that: "Be Still My Soul...")
Bradley and I are praying for you, and thinking of you often.
Hope your day is happy and blessed.

Mary said...

Thank you. This is precious.

the 10th kid said...

I love you all so much! Thanks for the encouragement!

Angie said...

WoW, that was so encouraging to me Amy. Be still and now that I am God has always been a quote I remember always. It is good to hear it from some one else. You have had so much faith and love through this. I Love You Amy!