Thursday, July 23, 2009

Feeling the Love

What a great day today has been. Do I say that every day? I am not apologizing if I do, just wondering.

I realized today, perhaps for the first time, what amazing support I have from my family and friends. I have it all the time, I'm sure, but I certainly notice it more now than ever.

One book I've been reading, Crazy, Sexy Cancer Tips, has a whole section on support groups. There are groups whose volunteers will write you little notes, another place where you can connect with people with the same type of cancer you have, and the list goes on and on. I have done a little bit of web research, and none of these groups appeal to me. For a while, I wondered if I was just in denial, as if being affiliated with others who have cancer would make it too real for me. Now, I just think those groups don't appeal to me because I have so much support around me already.

I have had, among other things, people come clean my house, bring me meals and snacks, send countless letters, cards, and prayers, in addition to the family who've been flying or driving in to take care of me on each step of this journey. When people ask how I am, I am honestly able to tell them that I am doing well. It's not a false optimism, I am not trying to protect the people who love me...it's that I am truly as good as I could hope for.

Tonight I took both dogs for a short walk and stopped to see some friends a few blocks over. Lisa kept telling me she couldn't believe how good I look. I think she was probably just referring to how amazing I look with no hair, but I am taking it as an overall "looking good." When I feel good enough to exercise every day (well, for 3 days in a row, anyway), I must be doing well!

This is my way of saying thank you. I know I am being lifted up in prayer. I know I am loved, from near and far. It is a great thing, to have so much support that I don't think I need more. Thanks!

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love you Amy! I can tell you are smiling!
Have a fabulous weekend-
hugs hugs hugs and did you get your pkg!!!

Anonymous said...

Same goes for Me!!!!!!!!

How's that for explanation marks?!?

Sandy

Anonymous said...

HEY!!! I am so glad that you are up and going again. That is so good that you can keep walking and that 5K sounds so amazing! I am so proud of you!! I love you so much, keep up the hard work, AND you do look amazing, with or without the hair (I do not think I could pull that off)!
--Mary Ann

Holly said...

Amy, I'm so glad to read this blog. I know you must have ups and downs. But it is such a privilege to be your friend and we do pray for you. Thank you for keeping us posted on the Blog.

Holly Webb